Tuesday, October 14, 2008

More on the rods

As previously noted the cork foregrips got quite thin when reamed to fit the blanks. I was also concerned that the turning hood holds the reel at an angle to the foot. Its not a particularly secure grip, and I just know over time the pressure being put on a relatively small area means that the finish on the reel foot is going to be damaged. So ...

I ordered standard gunsmoke reel hoods which fit fine. They screw on the same, but the hood section does not revolve but moves along the axis of the rod. They are lined inside with a firm but strong plastic. So the grip is more secure and there is no chance of damage to the reel foot.

Ok its not as fancy as the cork covered foregrip, but I grip a spinning rod at the base of the reel anyway, so the foregrip is largely obsolete.

Instead I now have a simple epoxy ramp from the blank to the reel seat (I used Diamondite instead of epoxy - I LIKE!), colouring the top coat with black powder paint.

Now its looks like the blank have a massive sudden swelled butt (like a bamboo fly rod gone modern and mad!

With my fingers round the reel I can touch the blank just in front of the reel seat - ideal for delicate bites on SP's and bait

No comments: