Friday, May 9, 2008

Korkers Streamborn wading boots - Initial Reaction

Korkers Streamborn wading boots

Initial Reaction

Arrived in a box with the felt soles attached and the trail lug soles loose. Boots appear to be well made. Soles are reasonably easy to swap. Remove the tongue from the button on the heel and slide the sole out whilst gently moving from side to side. Putting the new sole in is easy, just do it in reverse – push the toe cap all the way in then use the provided key to lift the ‘clingy’ rubber over the grooves in the sole, before pulling the tongue over the button. Once done you wouldn’t know the sole was replaceable, it integrates that well.

I bought US size 10. I usually wear a US size 8.5 or 9 (Euro 42 or 43) depending on what brand of shoe (i.e. New Balance and Nike 43, Hi Tec 42). I wanted a larger size so I had a little bit of space to wiggle my toes.

These fit perfectly over Simms G3 feet (size 8-9) to feel snug and firm but not tight. The quick lacing system enabled me to get in and out very quickly. The boots are quite high and cover my ankles giving excellent support. The toes are quite hard on the front which is good as I tend to wade quite hard and when I used to wet wade in Australia in sneakers I found rocky trout streams would mean sore toes. There are 6 micro drains on each boot The soles are quite thick once the sole itself and the replaceable sole are in position.

The changeable soles are a bit plus for me as some areas I fish would ruin felt soles and trail lugs are definitely required.

One feature I would have liked to see is a D-ring on the lace area for the loop attachers on gravel guards. Most hiking boots have them for walkers gaiters and with most stockingfoot waders that have integrated gravel guards having the attachment loops (and most detachable gravel guards having them too) I would have liked to see them on these. Having said that I found I could hook the loop under the laces themselves to achieve the same effect.

They fit very well with my new Simms G3 waders and I’m looking forward to a field test this weekend.

No comments: