Friday, May 9, 2008

Orvis Magnetic Accessory holder and Ceramic nippers

Orvis Magnetic accessory holder

Ceramic Nippers

Had these a while now

The nippers are the second pair I've owned - bought the first set in 1999 and they are still going strong - never missed a beat. I bought a second set as the first set is now a permanent attachment on my fly vest - I wanted a second one for days where I travel light (ha!) or when I'm spin fishing.
The ceramic is super sharp - I've cut up to 200lb mason hard mono with no problems - and it doesn't rust which is useful when I'm in the saltwater environment


The magnetic accessory holder is also a second purchase. The first one is on the back of my vest with a fish net glove for hand landing fish. the previous incarnation of this came with an elastic strap and beefed up split rings which I hooked a mini carabiner into.



I'm not entirely sure about the pin arrangement on this - its seems stronger than most of the pins that come with the zinger types but I'm still wary of poking holes in either my vest or shirts, especially if the release mechanism involves tugging downwards - sounds like a recipe for rips and tears. I'd have preferred either a mini carabiner or beefed up split rings so I could attach it to either d-rings or accessory loops on shirts (or even on waders)

The magnet attachement though is secure and accurate and easy to use.
I'll probably beef up the split rings and attach a mini clip instead of the pin so I can revert to the flexibility I was looking for

Aside from those gripes I'm glad Orvis has reintroduced this very useful piece of equipment

No comments: